Welcome back to The Week in Weed, your Friday look at what’s happening in the world of legalized marijuana.
- U.S. Senate Panel to Hold Hearing on Medical Marijuana
(Marijuana Business Daily: News, 12 July 2016)
The Republican-controlled U.S. Senate will hold an unexpected – and perhaps first-ever – hearing on the potential medical benefits and risks of marijuana use Wednesday, July 13.
- One striking chart shows why pharma companies are fighting legal marijuana [registration required]
(Washington Post: National, 13 July 2016)
New research shows a dramatic drop in painkiller prescriptions after medical marijuana laws are passed.
- After Dems back marijuana rescheduling, GOP votes against endorsing medical pot
(The Cannabist: The Cannabist, 13 July 2016)
Just days after the Democratic Party endorsed the rescheduling of cannabis and a “reasoned pathway to future legalization” of marijuana, delegates with the Republican Party voted against a more conservative platform that would have endorsed medical marijuana.
- Maryland May Pick MMJ License Winners in August
(Marijuana Business Daily: News, 13 July 2016)
After criticism from the executive director of Maryland’s Medical Cannabis Commission, the chairman of the group announced that the first marijuana business license winners in the cultivator and processor categories could be chosen as soon as August 5.
And, just for fun:
- Singing Texas lawyers have PSA: ‘Don’t Eat Your Weed’ if stopped by cops
(The Cannabist: The Cannabist, 12 July 2016)
New Internet stars: Attorneys Will Hutson and Chris Harris’ YouTube video has gone viral after it’s picked up on radio stations across the country.
Anything we missed? Let us know in the comments.